By Amnesty International StaffToday we honour the birthday of Martin Luther King, American civil rights activist and champion of non-violent resistance. Here we remember some of his more powerful words.
1. “The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.”
2. “We want all of our rights, we want them here, and we want them now.”
3. “Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God’s children.”
4. “We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence.”
5. “Here is the true meaning and value of compassion and nonviolence, when it helps us to see the enemy’s point of view, to hear his questions, to know his assessment of ourselves. For from his view we may indeed see the basic weaknesses of our own condition, and if we are mature, we may learn and grow and profit from the wisdom of the brothers who are called the opposition.”