Canada: Human Rights for EveryBODY
We want human rights for everyBODY!
Did you know that…
1. You have the right to choose your partner.
2. You have the right to choose if, or when, you have children.
3. You have the right to know and learn about your body, sexual health and relationships.
4. You have the right to sexual and reproductive health services – including contraception.
5. You have the right to live free from rape and sexual violence.
These are human rights that every person has. We need Canada to champion these rights, often called “sexual and reproductive rights.” Canada has signaled its commitment to ending sexual violence in conflict and early and enforced marriage. Amnesty International is concerned that in its overseas development assistance Canada will not fund a complete toolkit of sexual and reproductive health services to enable survivors of sexual violence and women and girls who were forced to marry early—services that would be available to women in Canada and government funded.
Write a personal letter to Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird calling for human rights for everyBODY! Let him know that you believe in service equality—you believe that everyone, regardless of where they live, should have access to the full range of sexual and reproductive health services that we have available to us in Canada. Urge Canada to participate fully in the International Conference on Population and Development, scheduled for April 2014, where world leaders will be discussing sexual and reproductive rights. And call on Canada to exercise strong and progressive leadership on gender rights issues.
Start with: Dear Minister Baird
- Describe who you are.
- Commend him for his commitment to maternal, newborn, and child health.
- Express your concern that Canada’s overseas development assistance does not include funding for the full range of sexual and reproductive health services, including access to safe abortion services for victims of sexual violence and victims of early and forced marriage.
- Let him know that you believe in service equality—you believe that Canada should be funding overseas the same types of services that it makes available to women and girls in Canada.
- Call on Canada to participate fully and at the highest levels at the upcoming International Conference on Population and Development, to be held in April 2014, and to advocate at this conference for the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls to be protected.
Address your message to:
The Honourable John Baird
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Trade, and Development
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2