Open for Justice
Let's ensure Canada is "Open for Justice" and not just "Open for Business"!
All over the world, there are people who suffer human rights abuses resulting from corporate activity. In many countries though, it is extremely difficult for people to obtain justice when their rights have been violated. This is particularly true when the harms are caused by foreign companies or their subsidiaries.
In the few cases where people from other countries have come to Canada to seek justice for human rights violations involving Canadian corporations, they have not succeeded. This is because the existing mechanisms available in Canada to address corporate human rights violations overseas are inaccessible and ineffective.
To fix this problem, Amnesty International Canada is demanding that Canada be “Open for Justice”.
Please take action by phoning or visiting your MP. See our Resources section for our MP lobbying kit, including talking points, questions and answers, and other helpful tips for meeting with your MP. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before you go to your MP meeting so that we can notify you of any updates.
3 ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE
1. TAKE ACTION
Ask your MP to commit to ensuring that people whose human rights have been abused by Canadian mining, oil and gas companies abroad are able to seek justice in Canada.
2. JOIN US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
3. WATCH VIDEOS
Written and Directed by Timo Schmidt.
This short film explores the relationship between indigenous rights and mining operations around the world.
- CAMPAIGN BACKGROUNDER For more information about the Open for Justice campaign, read our backgrounder.
- BOOK: INJUSTICE INCORPORATED In March 2014 Amnesty International published a book about Access to Remedy.
- FLYER If you wish to promote the Open for Justice campaign at your event, please use our one-page flyer.
- YOUTH ACTION Encourage your child(ren) or students to take part in our Open for Justice campaign by participating in this "Lifesaver" action.
- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS Do you have questions about the Open for Justice campaign? See our Q&A sheet for common questions and answers.
- MP LOBBYING KIT We encourage you to phone or visit your MP to seek their support for this important issue. Here are some resources to help you prepare for your MP meeting:
Government fails to create an extractive-sector Ombudsman, despite broad public support (CNCA press release). November 14, 2014.
Police set hundreds of homes ablaze near Porgera gold mine. June 10, 2014.
Dow shields shareholders from toxic truth in Bhopal. May 14, 2014.
OP ED/OPEN LETTERS:
Corporations have rights. Now we need a global treaty on their responsibilities. By Salil Shetty, Amnesty International Secretary General. January 21, 2015.
Time to counter human rights abuses by Canadian mining companies. Toronto Star (online edition). May 8, 2014.
Win a Prize for getting your MP's support! April 14, 2014.
SUBMISSION: CNCA submission to the Canadian Government's CSR strategy review. Jan 8, 2014
GET INVOLVED: Stage a performance of The Last Walk of Adolfo Ich. June 11, 2014.
- Webinar: Join our national webinar to Mobilize for Mining Justice Week on Wed, March 18, 2015.
- Webinar: Do you live in the Vancouver Lower Mainland? Join our Open for Justice webinar and help make Vancouver "Open for Justice". Tues, March 17, 2015.
- Take Action Now! Participate in Mining Injustice Week May 10-16. Visit www.amnesty.ca/business for more information on how to get involved.
- Toronto premiere of "Huicholes - the Last Peyote Guardians". The film tells the story of the Wixarika people and their struggle against the Mexican government and Canadian mining companies.Novembeer 26, 2014.
- Autorickshaw concert for Bhopal. Toronto. Nov 9, 2014.
- Panel discussion: Lawsuits Against Multinational Companies: Developments in Transnational Litigation in the UK, the US, Australia, South Africa and Canada. Ottawa. November 3, 2014.
- Lawsuits against Canadian mining companies. University of Ottawa. June 26, 2014.
- Open for Justice rally and delivery of 80,000 letters to MPs. May 14, 2014.
- Canadian book launch: Injustice Incorporated. May 8, 2014.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
Open for Justice is a joint campaign organized by the Canadian Network on Corporate Accountability (CNCA) and its member organizations, including Amnesty International.