On January 23rd, the Supreme Court of Canada will decide whether to allow a ground-breaking lawsuit to go forward against a Canadian mining company for the use of slavery.
Yes, you read that right: a Canadian company is going before the Supreme Court of Canada to determine whether it can be sued for the use of slavery.
In 2008, Nevsun Resources (NSU) entered into a joint-venture partnership with the Eritrean government to develop the Bisha gold-zinc-copper mine. Nevsun owns 60 percent of Bisha while the Eritrean state owns the other 40 percent. Bisha is the largest single source of revenue to the Eritrean government, bringing in over $1 billion in taxes and other payments (such as royalties) since exploitation began in 2011.