Select this search icon to access the amnesty.ca search form

Main menu

Facebook Share

Mozambique

    December 04, 2017

    In response to the death threats made against Aunício da Silva, an investigative journalist and editor of Ikweli, a weekly publication in Nampula City in the north of Mozambique, Amnesty International’s Regional Director for Southern Africa, Deprose Muchena, said:

    “Aunício da Silva’s life has been threatened simply because he was doing his job as an investigative journalist: holding the powerful to account.

    “This incident represents yet another attack on media freedom in Mozambique and sends a chilling message to journalists across the country to stay silent or face the consequences.

    “Journalism is not a crime. Mozambican authorities must protect the profession by urgently investigating these threats against Aunício. Anyone found to be criminally responsible for threatening and harassing journalists must be brought to justice in a fair trial.”

    Background

    September 15, 2015

    Mozambican authorities must immediately and unconditionally drop criminal charges against Carlos Nuno Castel-Branco and Fernando Mbanze over a Facebook post that criticised the then president, Amnesty International said today ahead of the court’s final decision on the case on 16 September 2015.

    “The charges against the two men make a complete mockery of justice. Both men were simply exercising their right to freedom of expression by speaking out about the governance of Mozambique on social media and in a newspaper. That is clearly not a crime,” said Deprose Muchena, Amnesty International’s Director for Southern Africa.

    Economist Carlos Nuno Castel-Branco is charged with crimes against the security of the state for publishing a comment on Facebook in November 2013 questioning the manner in which former President Armando Guebuza governed Mozambique. He faces a jail term of up to two years if convicted.  

    April 30, 2013

    Recommendations in a government-backed report investigating last year's devastating violence in Myanmar fail to effectively tackle discrimination against Rohingya Muslims and could trigger more human rights abuses, Amnesty International said.

    The government-appointed Rakhine Commission this week issued a briefing on its investigation into violence between Buddhist and Muslim communities in Rakhine state, western Myanmar, which first erupted in June 2012. The clashes have resulted in a considerable loss of life and left thousands displaced.

    The Commission, which did not include any Rohingya on its panel, called on the government to “double” the presence of security forces in Rakhine state, including the Border Security Force (NaSaKa)

    “There are some positive steps in this report but also several flaws. Deploying more security forces without first suspending -- pending further investigation -- those who may have been involved in human rights violations during last year's violence could fuel further abuses," said Isabelle Arradon, Amnesty International's Asia Deputy Director.

    Subscribe to Mozambique