Annual General Meeting 2021
June 5 & 6, 2021
Annual General Meeting
**Registration will open March 15, 2021
Amnesty International Canada (English Section) is pleased to announce that we will be holding the 2021 Annual General Meeting on June 5 & 6, 2021 with additional exciting programing planned on the 4th. More detailed information such as the agenda and how members will be able to join and participate will be sent out to registrants prior to the meeting.
As originally planned every second year, this will be an Annual General Meeting with guest speakers, educational workshops, and actions. It will also include essential organizational business, such as approving the Branch’s audited financial statements, appointing the auditor for the next fiscal year and the important work of electing Board members and discussing any motions that have been put forward. Everything will take place online, there will be no in-person component to this AGM.
Interested in running for the Board? Click here to learn more >>
Members have the right to bring forward and vote on resolutions that give direction to the Branch’s work. All resolutions must be submitted 90 days prior to the AGM (March 6, 2021).
All members in good standing will be given official notice of the AGM 60 days before the meeting. In order to vote at the AGM or in online elections, you must be a member 30 days before the AGM (May 5, 2021). To learn more about our membership requirements and to get involved click here.
OFFICIAL NOTICE TO MEMBERS: April 7, 2021
MEMBERSHIP DEADLINE: May 5, 2021
STANDARD AGM REGISTRATION DEADLINE May 20th, 2021
AGM : June 5, 2021
Please check back later.
The AGM program will be available soon, be sure to check back for updates.
Resolutions must be submitted 90 days before the Annual General Meeting according to our bylaws. Only members are eligible to move and second resolutions, run for election, nominate candidates and vote. Membership must be current for 30 days prior to the AGM in order to be eligible to vote on resolutions and participate in other governance activities. To learn more about Amnesty membership and how to update your status to allow for participation in governance activities, go to amnesty.ca/members.
Board Call for Nominations
We are seeking nominations for the Amnesty Canada Board for 2021. Amnesty International Canada needs new Board members to do the governance work that keeps the organization healthy and able to carry out its human rights work. We are looking for people with a wide variety of skills and backgrounds. If you, or someone you know, would like to consider being nominated to the Board in 2021, please click here.
Please note that this is a volunteer position.
Amnesty Canada AGM Inclusivity and Accessibility Statement
As an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Amnesty International Canada strives to organize virtual events that are a safe, welcoming, and accessible space for every person who chooses to participate.
We recognize that the format, content, and organizing model of many virtual meetings—including our own—create barriers to meaningful inclusion.
We recognize and commit to dismantling the multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination which make our virtual meetings inaccessible to some of our supporters. We commit to organizing our Virtual Annual General Meeting using an anti-oppression lens.
Our goal is to create a virtual space where every participant feels safe, respected, included, supported, and inspired. We commit to providing the following at the Virtual Annual General Meeting:
- Inclusivity and accessibility statement on our website and registration materials
- Online Registration includes space to identify ways in which organizers can make the event more accessible to participants
- Sliding scale for registration fees, including a no cost option
- Diversity of voices represented in plenary sessions and working party sessions
- Inclusion of Indigenous traditions and land acknowledgements
- Diversity of session formats
- During VAGM sessions there will be options for: Chat function, ability to speak and the option to share your webcam
- Sessions will include live captions and ASL interpretation by request
- Virtual Breakout rooms
- Mental Health support available by request
- Large-format printing and PowerPoint presentations available upon request
- Agenda and background documents available in advance
- Community Agreement which includes a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination, harassment, and violence
- Sessions will be scheduled to accommodate participants in different time zones. Live sessions will be listed with times zones
To further discuss how we can help ensure the annual general meeting is a safe, accessible, welcoming space for you, please contact email@example.com