Canada: Ban Israeli Settlment Goods
Each year Israeli and international businesses export hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of goods produced in illegal settlements which are built in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, to Canada. These illegal Israeli settlements are a driving force behind serious human rights violations against Palestinians.
Over the course of five decades thousands of Palestinians have been forcibly evicted and dislocated from their land, as it has been occupied and illegally used to create settlements for Jewish Israeli settlers. Entire Palestinian communities have been displaced as a result. Their homes and livelihoods have been destroyed. They have had restrictions enforced on their freedom of movement, access to their own water, land and other natural resources. They have faced frequent violent attacks by the Israeli military and settlers.
Multiple UN resolutions confirm that these Israeli settlements violate international law. Canada has condemned the settlements as illegal under international law. Canada must adhere to its legal obligations to not recognize or assist the illegal Israeli settlement enterprise by banning all Israeli settlement goods from entering Canadian markets and prevent Canadian companies from operating in these illegal settlements or trading in settlement goods. In doing so Canada has an opportunity to make a real difference for millions of Palestinians who have endured decades of injustice, indignity and discrimination.
Write a letter to the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
- Tell the Prime Minister it’s time to stop supporting illegal Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian land.
- Remind him that both Canada and the UN have condemned the settlements as illegal under international law.
- Explain that the illegal Israeli settlements built in the Occupied Palestinian Territories are a driving force behind serious human rights violations against Palestinians.
- Tell the PM that he has an opportunity to make a real difference for millions of Palestinians and encourage him to stop enabling the economy that sustains these settlements and fuels Palestinian suffering.
- Ask that Canada take measures to ban settlement goods from entering Canada, and put in place laws and regulations to stop Canadian companies from operating in Israeli settlements or trading in settlement goods.
Send Your Letters to:
The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister of Canada
80 Wellington Street
With Copies to:
His Excellency Nimrod Barkan
Ambassador for Israel
50 O'Connor Street, Suite 1005
Ottawa, Ontario KIP 6L2
Fax: (613) 750-7555