Stop the attacks on women’s sexual and reproductive rights in Iran
Iran’s Parliament is in the process of adopting two bills—Bill 446 and Bill 315—that threaten to send Iran back several decades to a precarious time for women and girls’ sexual and reproductive rights.
Since 2012, Iran has eliminated funding for the state Family and Population Planning Program, which oversaw the delivery of family planning and reproductive health services, including free condoms and modern contraceptives across the country. These initiatives are part of a misguided plan to accelerate population growth and, if continued, they will leave women and girls in Iran with a future shaped by increased inequality, discrimination, poor health, limited choices, and restricted freedoms.
Bill 446 to Increase Fertility Rates and Prevent Population Decline aims to double Iran’s population by outlawing voluntary sterilization (the second most common method of birth control in Iran), curbing use of modern contraceptives, banning education about contraception, and cutting funding for state-funded family planning programs. The bill was approved by parliament in August 2014 and is undergoing amendments as recommended by the Guardian Council, which needs to approve it before it can become law.
Bill 315, the Comprehensive Population and Exaltation of Family Bill, encourages early marriage, repeated childbearing and lower divorce rates, and allows discrimination against female job candidates—particularly if they are single or without children. It will also make divorce more difficult, and discourages law enforcement and the courts from intervening in family disputes, including those involving violence against women. The bill is due to be discussed by parliament next month.
Please send an email or letter to Ayatollah Sayed Ali Khamenei, Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Start with Your Excellency and and a sentence about yourself, such as from where you are writing, to make your message unique.
- Express concern about the advancement of the Comprehensive Population and Exaltation of Family Bill (Bill 315) and the Bill to Increase Fertility Rates and Prevent Population Decline (Bill 446).
- Note that if either Bill becomes law, Iran will breach its international human rights obligations to respective women’s sexual and reproductive rights, including their right to access contraceptive goods, services, and information.
Urge him to:
- Repeal Bill 446 in its entirety;
- Withdraw provisions from Bill 315 that discriminate against women; and
- Reinstate funding for comprehensive family planning policies and programs.
Send your email or letter to:
Send a copy of your email or letter to:
Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati, Secretary of the Guardian Council
Shoraye Negahban-e Ghanoon-e Assasi
Imam Khomeini Avenue, after (west of) junction with Vali Asr Avenue
Felestin Jonubi Street
Islamic Republic of Iran
MORE YOU CAN DO
- Send a Tweet! Here are some samples:
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE ISSUES
• Read our press release: Iran: Proposed laws reduce women to ‘baby making machines’ in misguided attempts to boost population
• Read our report: Iran: You Shall Procreate: Attacks on women's sexual and reproductive rights in Iran
• Get involved with our My Body My Rights campaign to protect women's sexual and reproductive rights
• Keep up with Amnesty's news and actions on women's human rights by joining our Facebook group or following us on Twitter @AI_WomenRights.