ACCOUNTABILITY AND JUSTICE IN ISRAEL, THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES AND STATE OF PALESTINE
©Ahmad Gharabli AFP-Getty Images
Welcome to Amnesty Canada's IOTP network. Through campaigns, lobbying, outreach and events, we raise awareness and inspire action to protect human rights. Join Us.
Stay Connected, Get Involved
50 YEARS OF MILITARY OCCUPATION.
50 YEARS OF HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS,
COMMITTED WITH IMPUNITY.
In Israel and the Occupied Territories (OPT), Amnesty has witnessed:
Israeli forces unlawfully kill Palestinian civilians, including children, and detain thousands of Palestinians from the OPT who oppose Israel’s continuing military occupation, holding hundreds in administrative detention.
Torture and other ill-treatment of detainees remain rife and are committed with impunity.
The authorities continue to promote illegal settlements in the West Bank, including by attempting to retroactively “legalize” settlements built on private Palestinian land, and severely restrict Palestinians’ freedom of movement, closing some areas after attacks by Palestinians on Israelis.
Israeli forces continue to blockade the Gaza Strip, subjecting its population of 1.9 million to collective punishment, and to demolish homes of Palestinians in the West Bank and of Bedouin villagers in Israel’s Negev/Naqab region, forcibly evicting residents.
The authorities imprison conscientious objectors to military service and detain and deported thousands of asylum-seekers from Africa.
In the State of Palestine, Amnesty has witnessed:
Palestinian authorities in the West Bank and the Hamas de facto administration in the Gaza Strip both continue to restrict freedom of expression, including by arresting and detaining critics and political opponents.They also restrict the right to peaceful assembly and use excessive force to disperse some protests.
Torture and other ill-treatment of detainees remain rife in both Gaza and the West Bank.
Unfair trials of civilians before military courts continue in Gaza; detainees are held without charge or trial in the West Bank.
Women and girls face discrimination and violence.
Courts in Gaza continue to hand down death sentences and Hamas carries out executions.
Canada: Stop supporting Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian land.
For the last 50 years, Israel has been forcing thousands of Palestinians off their land, occupying and illegally using it to create settlements that exclusively house Jewish Israeli settlers.
We want governments to stop enabling the economy that keeps these illegal settlements growing and fuels the suffering of Palestinians: and you can help.
Call on the Canadian government to ban Israeli settlement goods from entering our markets, and to stop companies based in Canada operating in settlements or trading in their goods - and help put an end to the cycle of violations suffered by Palestinians living under Israel’s occupation.
- Read our most recent Blog and Take Action
- Letter to PM Trudeau regarding Israeli settlement goods
- Prisoners’ hunger strike suspended
- Palestinian journalist released in April: Muhammed al-Qiq
- Human rights defenders signs plea bargain: Anas Barghouti
- Palestinian boy's administrative order renewed: Ahmad Hanatsheh
> see more campaign updates
- Isreal: Release Teenage Activist Ahed Tamimi
- Human Rights Defender Hasan Safadi’s administrative detention extended
- Palestinian Human Rights Defenders on trial : Issa Amro and Farid al-Atrash
- Amnesty International Canada writes in support of Bissan Eid
- Land Day 2017: Israel's relentless land grab continues
- “Human beings have no value here”: 15 years on still waiting for answers
- Drop baseless charges against Palestinian human rights defender
- Freedom of Speech and Criticism of Israel’s Human Rights Record
> read more from Amnesty Canada’s IOTP blog
Israel denies entry to Amnesty International staff member 31 October 2017
- Israeli forces attack peaceful crowds at Jerusalem holy site
- States must ban Israeli settlement products to end half a century of violations
- Israel must end ‘unlawful and cruel’ policies towards Palestinian prisoners
- Hamas executes three civilians tried in Gaza military courts
- Palestinian security forces violently suppress peaceful protest in Ramallah
- Detention of Palestinian journalist on hunger strike ‘unjust and cruel’
> read more from Amnesty Canada’s IOTP news desk
- A call to states to stop sustaining illegal settlements
- UN Secretary-General’s report to the Security Council presents key opportunity to highlight Israel’s ongoing illegal settlement activity and its impact on Palestinians
- Lethal force and accountability for unlawful killings by Israeli forces
- Time to address impunity: Two years after the 2014 Gaza/Israel war
- Hamas must stop planned judicial executions in the Gaza Strip
> see more from the Amnesty IOTP research team